Saturday, November 5, 2011

Italian cooking lesson & other food

Ciao!

Recently my Italian friend Tommaso and I decided to have a cooking party (hi Tommaso! thanks for cooking with me!). The deal was that he would teach me to make some Italian food, and I would make Mexican. We decided to make risotto al radicchio trevigiano because it's not too hard - I think he doubted my cooking abilities. I made chicken enchiladas and black beans. I was really excited to find the one Mexican store in Torino.


I'd never made risotto before, so I let Tommaso be in charge. First we sauteed onions in olive oil on low heat. Apparently this is an extremely important part of Italian cooking called.... something that I forget. We also cooked the radicchio in oil on low heat.





The next step was toasting the rice with the onion, and then we slowly added chicken broth. Then you stir... a lot.





Here are the finished products! The risotto was amazing.



Edo's lovely girlfriend Carmel was visiting, so we all spent some time bonding.





It was Dara's birthday on Tuesday, so we had a wine and cheese appetizer and then went out to dinner. Pam had a pretty outrageous pizza with an egg on top, and I had Chinese food. Yes, the restaurant was a hybrid Chinese-pizza place. Happy birthday Dara!





Pam and I also had a lovely lunch in the neighborhood. We've been a little lonely since Joan and Jenn have been traveling!



I've been cooking a lot lately to save money - here's my most recent dinner! The chicken was baked in the oven with garlic, olive oil, and tomatoes. Add mashed potatoes and eggplant sauteed with lemon and you've got a delicious meal :)


In my next post I'll be teaching you how not to look like an idiot in an Italian supermarket. Stay tuned!

xoxo,
R

No comments:

Post a Comment