Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Genova & California Love

Well, I got back from Italy one week ago - I can't believe it ended so quickly. Let's go back in time and recap my final days in Italy and my first days back home, shall we?

The weekend before we all left, I took a day trip to Genova with Petra and Dara. It was really fun to have a girl roommate trip! Genova is absolutely beautiful, and we spent time wandering the streets, eating, and taking in the sights - like Christopher Columbus's house! We all had pasta with pesto sauce, which is the local specialty of Genova. I'm not usually a huge pesto fan, but it was amaaaazing.














We also headed to the aquarium, which is one of the largest in Europe. We saw lots of lovely animals, such as dogs of the sea (ie dolphins, manatees, and seals).









Genova at sunset was one of the most beautiful sights I've seen in Italy.



When we got home, Petra's boyfriend Luca had prepared homemade tiramisu. It was his first attempt and was so good! Thanks Luca! We had amazing pizzas and gorged ourselves on dessert.




I also tried to take in some last sights in Turin. I had a bicerin (Torinese drink with espresso, melted chocolate, and whole milk), found the famous lucky bull, and had a last gelato.








On my last night in Torino, Petra and I went out to dinner. I treated myself to some delicious food to celebrate my time in Italy. This is asparagus with cheese sauce, penne with fresh veggies and garlic, and roasted potatoes.




Coming home has been a mixed experience. Although I'm so happy to be back with my friends, family, and dog, I can't help but miss Italy and my friends there. I've been drowning myself in lots of typical California food (you may notice the prevalence of avocado in my life).







My family did our traditional tree decorating the after I got back, along with my bff Saria. She was the lucky one who found the unicorn ornament that my sister and I always used to fight over as kids!





We also had a delicious Christmas Eve dinner - shrimp scampi, asparagus, and potatoes - and an amazing Christmas day dinner that consisted of Thanksgiving food.






That brings us up to the present. It's pretty strange writing this knowing that it could be my last post - I feel like I've been writing this forever, but also like it went by so fast. My trip was amazing and I'll cherish the memories I made forever. I really enjoyed writing this, so I'll put it to my lovely readers: should I keep blogging? I still have to eat at home, right? Let me know in the comments!

Just in case this is my last post, I want to say thank you to everyone who's been reading about my journey. This blog has received about 2000 hits, which is so much more than I ever expected. I loved knowing that you were all out there following along with me and being jealous of my food! ;)

xo,
Randi

3 comments:

  1. Keep blogging! I think you should try to make as many fabulous Italian meals as you can for your family. Then you can take photos and put them on your blog.

    (Ali concurs.)

    -Mom

    ReplyDelete