Friday, September 9, 2011

Beeeeeeeeerlin!

My most recent stop was Berlin. I'd heard from various people that it's their favorite city in Europe, so I had really high expectations. Although I liked it there, I can't say it was my favorite (that honor is still reserved for Stockholm). The great thing about Berlin is that it was reallyyyy cheap, especially compared to Sweden. Food and alcohol were reasonably priced, so we ended up eating a lot. I also met my good buddy Irene Chang in Berlin - we've known each other since middle school but hadn't seen each other for years.

Instead of staying in a hostel in Berlin, we rented a flat. It was so nice being able to actually leave my toothbrush next to the sink! Our first meal was a random Turkish-style donor kebab from the grocery store down the street, plus a beer. This huge beer only cost me 79 cents!


We then went on a very long trek-adventure to try to find Vietnamese food. After much misdirection, we finally found a secret Vietnamese mecca randomly located in Berlin. I got deliciousssss pho with chicken and beef. Pam was so happy!




Berlin is really pretty, and Joan and I loved that you can just walk down the street drinking beer.



We of course went to see the Berlin Wall. The East side has been covered with huge art murals, many of which were really beautiful. The West side of the wall was covered in graffiti scrawls. Can you spot where I wrote my name?









After hanging out at the wall, we went and sat by the water. I promised Pam that I would rescue her if she fell in. I tried to order an iced coffee and it came with ice cream, whipped cream, and chocolate syrup PLUS a cookie! Silly Germany.




That day I met up with Irene and we all got a delightful dinner together. I ordered a half duck, which came with potato dumplings and cabbage. Irene got veal steak. Both were excellent.




Ritter bars were only .89! AND LOOK AT THAT SELECTION! I bought 2.


We went to an interactive museum called DDR, wandered along museum isle, and then went to Checkpoint Charlie (notice the McDonald's right next to the old US checkpoint!) and the Brandenburg Gate.






Irene and I stumbled upon the US Embassy, where I felt I needed to take a picture. Supernerd! It was a little bit soothing being around something American.



On my last night with Jenn, Joan, and Pam, we went with Irene to a hole in the wall Thai place that was close to our flat. We didn't know what to expect, but the food was AMAZING and the ladies who ran it were super cute. Perfect goodbye dinner! I got green chicken curry. Also pictured is Irene's noodle dish with roasted duck.


After leaving Berlin, I met my darling Nadia Prupis in London for the second leg of my trip. I'll let you know how it goes!

xo,
R

2 comments:

  1. THE FOOD LOOKS AMAZING.

    and that iced coffee! oooh-wee, my dream is for everthing to come with ice cream, whipped cream and a cookie.

    yay for nadia coming!

    miss youuuu

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best Italian restaurants I've ever been to is in Berlin.
    I think it's called "italienischen restaurant" (italian restaurant). Gotta love that German simplicity.

    ReplyDelete