Thursday, September 29, 2011

Italy: I obviously came for the food.

Ciao! I've been in Italy for almost a week now and I'm starting to get acclimated. I've learned a little bit of Italian, like how to buy bus tickets, and so far I've managed not to make a total fool of myself (as far as I know). It's hard to get by here without speaking Italian, since most people over the age of 25 don't speak English. Hopefully I'll get a little bit better with time.

I've been eating a lot. One of my first meals in Italy was, strangely enough, Chinese food. It was good and comforting since it reminded me of generic Chinese food at home. I had asparagus and "crab" soup and some sort of chicken with bamboo shoots which I ate too quickly to take a picture of.


That night dinner was prosciutto and bread. Yep, that's it! The prosciutto was so cheap compared to the US - something like 3 euro. At home this prosciutto would be like $10!


I tried my first Italian pizza on the first day of orientation. It was yummy but not memorable. Still, I love that Italians put eggplant on pizza. I think I need to start cooking with eggplant because it's ridiculously abundant here. I also cooked myself a little pasta dinner with pancetta, mushrooms, and zucchini. Yummm.



I went to coffee and lunch with my Hastings buddies. My first try of Italian coffee was a learning experience in two ways. First, coffee with milk is called a caffe macchiato here, and comes in a tiny little cup. Second, Italian public restrooms are often just a hole in the floor, and you probably won't have anywhere to hang up your purse.


For lunch we went to a nice restaurant around the corner from our school. Jenn and Joan had pizzas, I had gnocchi, and Pam had tagliatelle. I didn't taste anyone else's food, but my gnocchi was delicious and so filling! I didn't even want dinner that night because I was so stuffed. Oh, and of course Joan and I had to sample the house wine.





That afternoon I went with some people from school to see the migration museum in Torino. It was the first time I had strolled through the city center, and it's so beautiful! We walked through a lot of covered walkways that looked like this.


Learning about the history of immigration in Torino was really interesting. As a Californian I take diversity for granted, but people have only been immigrating into Torino for 30 years! Unfortunately, there was a lot of racism during the 1980s, and non-Italian people were seen as "outsiders." Apparently the view of immigrants has gotten better in recent years, and now 1/7 residents of Torino are from outside of Italy.

I also tasted some delicious gelato from Grom, which is a chain - there's one located right across the street from our school! Uh oh. I got salted caramel and hazelnut con panna (whipped cream). OK, it was a little bit indulgent - but it was my first gelato in Italy so I had to just go for it. And yeah, it was worth it.



Yesterday our school threw a barbecue for all of its students (there are only about 30 of us total). We had chicken, sausages, lamb, salad, bread, and of course wine. Although the menu was a little different from your traditional American BBQ, I noticed that some things are universal... for example, men will always stand around staring at the grill.




We've also been making new friends! Here's Jenn, Joan, and Pam with our new friend Abby and me with one of my roomies, Dara.



Tonight I'm going to my first Italian aperetivo. Exciting!

xo,
R

No comments:

Post a Comment